Thursday 17 January 2013

Freckles and Scabs


I remember my summers as a young girl. I frolicked endlessly in the thick humidity that reigns over Minnesota from June to September. I was always covered in freckles and scabs. The freckles were everywhere. The scabs, on my knees. Perhaps that’s why I feel so content sitting on this bed in my home away from home in Melbourne. I am once again covered in freckles and scabs.

I have been in Australia for over two weeks and have received so much generosity from my family: my aunt, uncle, and cousins, not to mention the new friends I’ve met along the way. Earlier this week, however, I was traveling alone, and my brain slowed down and began to process my experiences thus far. Walking back full-handed from the small town grocery on Stradbroke Island, just as a warm rain was starting to fall … I fell. I fell quick and hard onto the gravel. Like many people do when they trip or fall, I popped back up within milliseconds to avoid public pity. As I proceeded to walk toward the scenic, beach route back to the backpackers hostel, I looked down at my scraped knee and stubbed toe. Blood started to drip down my leg and was already pooling up between my sandal and my foot. As the rain dragged the blood further and further down my shin, I gave in. A few tears fell from my eyes as I set my bags down on the wet sand. I stared off toward the seemingly endless sea. As it raged, I wondered why I felt so defeated.

I washed my wounds in the salt water. Wave after wave reminded me to hold my head high. I didn’t feel like the little-girl version of myself that evening, I just felt like myself. Traveling brings up emotions because we’re soaking in so many new things. We’re hot or we’re cold, we’re enlightened or we’re saddened. Most of all, traveling helps me put my life into perspective. When I am abroad, I am able to further appreciate the foundation of love I have in my home country and I am challenged by the ways my ideas and perspectives take shape in a new context, in a new country, in a new community. I didn't feel sad that evening on the beach, I just needed to remind myself to slow down, to reflect, to be grateful. While I could never count the billions of freckles that have resurfaced on my body since arriving in Australia, I can assure you I will pick at my scab!

No comments:

Post a Comment