Monday 18 February 2013

Aotearoa

Me on the Flying Fox, Wangnui, New Zealand, 2013. Photo by Peter.


Kia ora! I have recently returned to Melbourne after a two-week journey through Aotearoa (New Zealand). New Zealand was unique, spectacular, and humbling in many ways. I am thankful to have been a guest in Aotearoa. So, in no particular order, I am going to list a few of the things I grew to love about New Zealand. Please enjoy. I hope you will go and see for yourself.
  1. Playgrounds. New Zealand does not, evidently, have an issue with liability when it comes to playgrounds. Therefore, all of the playgrounds are like a dream come true for children … and adults who still feel like children. Ropes and tunnels, swings and zip lines! At home, in the United States, they’d charge money to play at parks like these. In New Zealand, everyone is welcome. I still remember feeling disappointed when they dismantled the “Spider Web” and the “Spaceship” at the parks near my grandmother’s house in Willmar, MN.
  2. Lookouts. In every city there are things to climb. Even in the smallest of New Zealand towns, there is a naturally occurring piece of land that is climbable. Whether it be a national park, a dormant volcano, or a cathedral atop a hill, New Zealand’s cities offer the visitor and the local an opportunity to feel they’ve seen things from a slightly new perspective.
  3. Stubbies. The word “stubbies” describes a style of shorts for men that are shorter than average. Stubbies are common and practical for all.
  4. Museums. Perhaps it is because I was a tourist, but I took full advantage of New Zealand’s museums. I went to the Auckland Art Museum twice. Having worked in a museum, I have an enormous amount of respect for the people who maintain and manage museums. I also value the opportunity to be a visitor. I spent multiple days allowing myself to be completely immersed in museum-ness. It feels good to be inside the warm embrace of a museum, knowing that each inch of the place has the potential to change your view, open your eyes, confirm your values, or teach you something. I feel youthful when inside of a museum. I let myself go. There is no time, no rush, and no right or wrong. The primary purpose is to absorb new knowledge and to see beauty in new and old things.
  5. Water. Rivers, lakes, oceans, and sulfur springs. New Zealand has a wonderful habit of reminding you to look toward the water for direction and guidance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment